..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
Call for Individual Abstracts
including Panels and Posters
The 2013 annual meeting of the Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences (AESS) will be held on 19-22 June 2013 in Pittsburgh, PA. We invite your participation.
DEADLINE NOW CLOSED FOR AESS SESSIONS.
Here are the steps to submit an Individual Abstract:
Each step is explained further below.
(1) CHOOSE A SESSION TYPE
There are two (2) session types to choose from:
Presentation panels are designed for presentation of research or other scholarly AESS-related endeavors. They consist of 3-4 presenters who are each allotted approximately 20-30 minutes (time includes presentation and discussion). Presentation panels are 1.5 hours in length, and will take place on June 20, 21 and 22 in parallel with discussion symposia and other presentation panels. If you are associated with a Presentation Panel already accepted in the December 1 Call for Session Proposals, you still need to submit an abstract here, along with the session title and name of the session organizer. Session organizers are responsible for seeing that their session members submit the required abstracts.
The poster session will take place during a reception on the Friday evening of the conference. Poster presenters are expected to accompany their poster during the reception. Guidelines will be provided to those whose posters are accepted.
(2) COMPOSE YOUR ABSTRACT (requirements)
Your abstract should be no longer than 300 words.
- If you are submitting for a panel presentation that has already been accepted as part of a pre-approved panel in the December 1st Call for Session Proposals, please include name of session organizer and session title.
- Overview of Content Type:
- For example, empirical research results, theoretical contribution, project description, pedagogical experiment, presentation of artistic work, personal or institutional experience, etc.
- Statement of Content:
- Provide sufficient information that we can judge the quality of your proposal and its relevance to the conference.
- For example, research results might include focal question, method, results and conclusion; pedagogical experiment might include description of experiment, outcomes and lessons learned; presentation of artistic work might include creation of the work, presentation to the public and potential impact; etc.
- Justification for Presentation:
- This might include applicability to the conference theme, contribution to your field, connection to the mission and goals of AESS and the broader environmental
We expect a tremendous variety of proposals. To assist the Program Committee in grouping presentations into coherent sessions, please provide up to five very broad descriptors of your topic--e.g. environmental history, climate change, campus sustainability, ESS pedagogy, urban ecology, etc., etc.
(4) SUBMIT YOUR ABSTRACT
To submit your abstract, please click on the "Start Proposal" button at the top of the page.
AESS is proud of its breadth. To continue our efforts to reach out, we encourage abstracts that:
- combine scholars from multiple disciplines—physical and natural sciences; social sciences, humanities, and the arts
- are submitted by students, faculty, or administrators
- bring together theorists and practitioners
- blend those who work in government, business, foundations, and other areas of society
- are organized by or include presenters from a diversity of racial, ethnic, and international backgrounds
- are organized by or include practicing artists
- enhance conference participants’ awareness of a sense of place—in the case of the AESS 2013 conference in Pittsburgh, this means that we encourage proposals with a geographic focus on Pittsburgh and the surrounding region.
LIMITATIONS ON SUBMISSIONS
Individuals may submit more than one proposal. However, the Program Committee reserves the right to select from among a suite of proposals from a single author.
In order to be included in the 2013 AESS conference program, all presenters must be registered and paid in full by
the early registration deadline. Details of registration will be announced shortly; registration is expected to open in March. Participants who do not comply may be dropped from the conference program.
AESS and the 2013 AESS conference organizers are not responsible for obtaining funds to support speaker or
participant travel to the meeting, and cannot guarantee that any support will be available.
REVIEW OF PROPOSALS
Abstracts are reviewed by the AESS Program Committee. Notice of acceptance or rejection of individual presentations will be sent out in mid-March. Following this, the committee will organize accepted presentations into sessions. Every effort will be made to group them into coherent thematic areas. Notice of your session assignment will be sent out by late March, about 3 months before the start of the conference.
If you have questions, contact Nancy Rich, chair of the AESS Program Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.